Sunday, October 14, 2012

Better Late Than Never


Part one of this blog was written a couple of weeks back; I just never got to posting it. Part two reiterates part one.

Part I

Want to learn how to trust the Lord? Come to the Philippines, jump on the Lizardo Bus, and go to Baguio City. The Lizardo Bus is what they call a chicken bus which means you can virtually take anything on the bus with you. The bus is jam packed with as many people that can fit, and however much baggage they can cram into it. There is no air conditioning and very few stops along the way. It’s also common for people to bring plastic bags on board for the sole purpose of throwing up in. On the initial drive up we left at about 12:30 AM. So I slept the entire 8 hours. I was in a seat by myself, and had a few riding buddies. My favorite was an older Filipino lady who used me as a pillow. I vaguely remember the trip there, thank goodness.
We traveled to Baguio to get our temporary two-year missionary visas, but as luck would have it we were lacking a few documents needed. So the process was halted and we will make a trip to Manila soon. The trip at first seemed like a waste of time, but as God would have it, He had some divine meetings in store for us.
While there we stayed at the local seminary and met Sam, a Korean who lived in New York. He began to tell us of a method he was using to disciple some Christian leaders. The method in particular, Discovery Bible Study, was something we studied during training in Nashville and we had been praying for God’s guidance on what ministries to get involved with in Maria. There was no denying that the Holy Spirit set that meeting up to direct us toward DBS being the ministry to focus on. It was so encouraging to have our prayers answered in such a blunt way. So we met with Sam one evening to discuss DBS and the things he had learned from doing it in the Philippines. We also met an American couple at the church we went to on Sunday, who were teachers at the seminary. The couple and Josh and Autumn had some mutual contacts from Mississippi, and the guy went to high school in Mansfield, Arkansas (which is super close to Heavener). It was an awesome and random trip.
On the way back unlike the trip to Baguio where I slept, this time it was 2 o’clock in the afternoon and I was wide-awake. There was a couple of game fighting roosters directly behind us that kept crowing. It was quite humorous. Not to mention the circa 80’s hair band music that played loudly the entire trip. A large cloud of fog rolled through about the time we got started in the mountains but about twenty minutes into the ride it cleared up. Commence another twenty minutes of fervent prayer because literally two feet and sometimes a small piece of guardrail were the only things between you and death. Finally I quit worrying about how close imminent death was and I began to praise God for of His glorious creation. No picture I could take would ever describe the beauty of those mountains. I am continually in awe of what God has created; I can’t help but praise and worship Him. It is how I connect with Him the most. For some people it’s singing or dancing but stick me anywhere in the world and I can find its beauty.

A major happening between Part I and Part II:

We experienced our first Filipino funeral process, that of Nana Alice, our 80-year-old sister in Christ and neighbor. Culturally the process is much different than in the US. The funeral home picks up the corpse, takes it to be embalmed, and brings it back to the home where it can be viewed by family members who come for the Wake. The wake is held for a certain number of days, and is a time for grieving but also celebrating. There is a service every night with a speaker, food, singing, and games. Praise God that Nana Alice was a Christian because at funerals of non-believers there is much drinking and gambling. During the wake members of the family rotate staying up to greet guests who come at different hours of the day/night. The final day of the wake is the funeral procession. So at 8 AM we went to the church for a final message and viewing, then we walked 3 miles to reach the cemetery where she would be buried. Afterward everyone had merienda, or snack, together. The wake for Nana Alice lasted 5 days.

Part II

Yesterday we had the privilege of going to ‘the falls’ here in the Aurora Province. Which as you guessed it, is a waterfall. It was absolutely gorgeous with large rocks and crystal clear, cold water. We also hiked up a small hill to go see another waterfall, which was just as beautiful. Again I began to praise God for his creation. I am reminded of Romans 1:19-20 and will end with that.

“For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them. For His invisible attributes, namely, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse.”

To Him be the glory,
Monica

2 comments:

  1. I love this Monica. And it's so refreshing hearing your heart and words. You should write more. And your pics rock! Keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with Chris! You should write more :)

    ReplyDelete